Welcome to War Doves, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

terminology – barefoot means

Offline Labi1995 Posted 02-13-2019 - 08:33 AM
Senior Poster

Registered

298 Posts
Labi1995
The big news in the world of running science over the past week was the release of a study from a locomotion lab at the University of Colorado. The study, titled “The metabolic cost of running barefoot vs. shod: is lighter better?”, was headed up by Jason Franz, and was co-authored by Corbyn Wierzbinski and Rodger Kram.
I received a press release about the study from one of the co-authors last week, and the quote in the www.anbilazio.it title Nike Air Max 2017 Mujer of my post is taken directly from the first paragraph of the release (I have now also read the full text). In the press release they describe their experiment as follows:“In the study, 12 subjects with substantial barefoot running experience ran at 7.5 MPH with a mid-foot strike pattern on a motorized treadmill, both barefoot and in lightweight cushioned shoes (~150 g/shoe, 5.4 oz). In additional trials, they attached small lead strips to each foot/shoe (~150, ~300, ~450 g). For each condition, they measured the subjects’ rates of oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production as an index of metabolic cost.”The big news in the world of running science over the past week was the release of a study from a locomotion lab at the University of Colorado. The study, titled “The metabolic cost of running barefoot vs. shod: is lighter Nike Air Max 95 Dames www.johanweststeijn.nl better?”, was headed up by Jason Franz, and was co-authored by Corbyn Wierzbinski and Rodger Kram.I received a press release about the study from one of the co-authors last week, and the quote in the title of my post is taken directly from the first paragraph of the release (I have now also read the full text). In the press release they describe their experiment as follows:
“In the study, 12 subjects with substantial barefoot running experience ran at 7.5 MPH with a mid-foot strike pattern on a motorized treadmill, both barefoot and in lightweight cushioned shoes (~150 g/shoe, 5.4 oz). In additional trials, they attached small lead strips to each foot/shoe (~150, ~300, ~450 g). For each condition, they measured the subjects’ rates of oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production as an index of metabolic cost.”Would this have any effect Nike Air Max 95 FemmeNike Air Max 90 Femme on the results? I don’t really have any idea (what do you barefoot runners think?). Certainly, wearing a sock does add a layer of material between the foot and the ground that could alter sensory perception and plantar abrasion/shear (reducing the latter could actually improve economy relative to barefoot when running on a treadmill – truly barefoot treadmill running can create friction with the belt and resulting discomfort for some people). Just as people get sensitive when the phrase “barefoot-shoes” gets thrown around, I think it’s important to be clear with terminology – barefoot means nothing on the foot.
2. For similar reasons to the above, it’s debatable whether adding weight to the bare foot tells us anything of practical relevance about barefoot running. Here is the description of how weight was added to the “bare” foot:Nike Air Max 98 Femme
“To Nike Air Max 270 Femme add mass to each foot during barefoot trials, we modified the uppers of a different model of running shoes to allow for easy attachment of small lead strips while still simulating barefoot running (Figure 3). We removed the outsole, midsole, and the entire front portion of the shoe upper, anterior to the mid-shaft of the fifth metatarsal, leaving only the heel counter, thin fabric arch section, tongue and laces.”
Back to top Find Quote